Spirit of Food: Mediterranean Roasted Vegetables and Chickpeas
June 15, 2022
The Mediterranean diet is thought to be one of the healthiest in the world.
- 2 bunches of broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 can (19 oz./540 mL) chickpeas, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 cup (500 mL) cherry tomatoes (use red, orange and yellow, if possible)
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) canola oil, divided
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, leaves torn
- Grated Parmesan cheese, crumbled feta for garnish (optional)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) fresh basil leaves for garnish
Directions: Preheat oven to 400°F (200 °C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, toss together the broccoli, chickpeas, tomatoes, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, vinegar, and 3 tbsp (45 mL) canola oil. Pour the vegetable mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes. Toss the kale with remaining canola oil. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and nestle in the kale leaves. Roast for another 5 minutes.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Garnish with crumbled feta or grated Parmesan, if you like. Garnish with basil leaves.
Serve the roasted chickpeas and vegetables with whole-grain pasta, brown rice, quinoa or couscous.
Source of Recipe: Health Canada